Tax Tips for Visual Artists / JLSohioThe taxman cometh, and are you getting all the deductions you deserve? If you make money by selling your artwork (and as a member of Artist Rising, I hope you are), you’re entitled to deduct some of the expenses associated with creating, showing and selling your artwork, including:

  • Your yearly Artist Rising Premium or Select Studio membership fees
  • Any overnight travel expenses incurred when you show your artwork
  • Any art supplies purchased, including paints, canvases or printing costs
  • Costs to maintain your home art studio space, including utilities and rent
  • And much, much more.

However, this does require that you do a little homework. You will need to file a Schedule C with your 1040 tax forms (a.k.a. filing the “long form”). You’ll also need to keep records for your business, including keeping receipts and keeping track of your sales.

There’s a lot to know about this topic, so here are some links to articles that are worth a look:

If you have any great tax tips to pass on to your fellow artists, please post a comment below. Good luck and happy deduction-hunting.

Add to Technorati Favorites Save This Page

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

%d bloggers like this: